Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Volusia County

$17 Million to Flagler, $37.6 Million to Volusia in State’s Beach Restoration Fund

ⓒ AskFlagler
ADVERTISEMENT

DAYTONA BEACH SHORES – Local beaches will be receiving considerable funding to address beach erosion from last year’s pair of hurricanes, according to a Wednesday announcement from Governor Ron DeSantis. He made the statement in Daytona Beach Shores, an area which was particularly battered by the high winds and tides of hurricanes Ian and Nicole.

Volusia County will receive the greater portion of the two counties, with $37.6 million slated to facilitate restoration. It makes sense Volusia would receive more, as its coastline is both longer and more densely developed. Flagler County will receive a little under half that amount, with $17 million heading its way.

ADVERTISEMENT

In addition to Volusia and Flagler counties, Brevard County will be recipient to $3.2 million to address its coastal damages. Several miles of beach along Central Florida’s Atlantic coast were affected by severe erosion, with dozens of buildings and homes either damaged or destroyed. Portions of A1A were broken off as far north as St. Johns County, leading to emergency repairs with local officials scrambling for a long-term solution.

“We’re looking forward to collaborating with our state, county, and federal government to restore our beautiful beaches to where they were before the hurricane,” said Nancy Miller, Mayor of Daytona Beach Shores. The area of beach in her city was among the most devastated areas in the wake of last year’s hurricane tandem.

The state government is working alongside both local and federal government agencies to expediently begin work to reinforce the Florida coast. President Joe Biden in November approved an emergency declaration that authorized the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to spearhead disaster relief responses. Both Volusia and Flagler counties were included in this declaration.

Hurricane season will resume in June of this year. The impact of another potential hurricane stands to cause potentially untold destruction if it builds off of the effects of Ian and Nicole.

Written By

Chris Gollon is a Flagler County resident since 2004, as well as a staple of the local independent music scene and avid observer of Central Florida politics, arts, and recreation.

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. TR

    January 19, 2023 at 4:03 pm

    Just keep throwing more money at a problem that no one knows how to fix. Dump more sand to fill in what mother nature took away just so she can take it away again this year with the first majorstorm comes.

  2. Sis

    January 19, 2023 at 4:15 pm

    Yes,I have to agree TR. I see truck filling again with sand and adding rocks these rocks are movable with big storms. Why not huge boulders that won’t move you know 4 by 5 feet boulders.
    UP north they have huge storms and many of the coastlines stay in place because of the way they stack them & strap them together.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

ADVERTISEMENT
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You May Also Like

Business

FLAGLER BEACH – After months upon months of being one holdout away from the start of a major dune restoration project, Flagler County has...

Business

TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is now accepting applications for an allotment of grant money to reimburse repairs of hurricane damage...

Crime

DAYTONA BEACH – Nicole Jackson, the teenager who is said to have shot at Volusia Sheriff’s deputies back in 2021, has been sentenced to...

Crime

EDGEWATER – 62 year-old Howard Adams, a resident of Edgewater in Volusia County, has pleaded guilty to a felony charge for his role in...

Business

The restaurant at Bull Creek Fish Camp in western Flagler County will soon be torn down, the county government announced on Wednesday. The area...